It’s been a dumpling of a week: one of those swampy, lumpy January bogs that feels like swimming through porridge. Things to do, but no poop for doing ‘em. A series of ever-decreasing circles: grey routines and baggy pants.
But that’s quite enough wallowing. Truth be told, my little rut’s gotten too cosy – time to strap on a rocket and blast out!
Here’s The Plan:
1. get the Bible open. So far I’ve been dipping my toe in a couple of devotionals/sermons (and they’re great), but not enough. I’m thinking maybe Isaiah – but perhaps that’s too ambitious. Titus? nice and short …? At the minute I’m coasting along on a couple of verses – out of context and hurriedly scanned – but it’s the nutritional equivalent of a Mars Bar: a short-term holding measure. I’m dissatisfied because I’m hungry for gospel meat.
2. thankfulness. This is not something I do very often. I’ve got a grief sheet that I tick off before God – but as for celebrating my blessings … er, not so much. And it’s not like there aren’t hundreds of those bad boys clamouring for acknowledgement.
3. start reading books. I stopped over Christmas and I miss them. Nothing too hard or worthy: just a rip-roaring yarn that puts me in someone elses’ head for a bit. A mental holiday where I can dip into a completely different culture and situation.
4. shake-up some routines. This is a real challenge: I hate change and I like knowing where things are and doing them in a certain order, (the ‘right’ order, naturally). But here’s something I’ve noticed: as my habits become more important, other people become less. Safety is not my friend. My friend is my friend.
5. talk to God. Actually talk to Him - about the little stuff and the big stuff. (I’m sure you’ve been doing this for years, but in my case the stuff that spills out onto friends often gets stuck in the prayer loop). Then I’m going to try to listen. I’ve been struck recently by the Bible’s emphasis on waiting for God. Not to retreat or race ahead, but be still and wait. So here’s my prayer: that I’ll talk, and then shut up.
6. throw out the mouldy spices that have been making me feel guilty for the past year. (Juniper berries. What do they even MEAN?)
7. talk to myself instead of listening to myself.
8. align my chakra. (Not really, but it sounds kind of impressive)
9. fewer box sets, more conversation (is this an elvis song?)
10. more elvis.
How about you? What do you do to get out of the hole?