1. Jesus is in the business of resurrection. So whatever it is that feels dead: your dreams, your marriage, your self-worth, your hope – He can work life where there is none. He can bring something from what is not.
2. The best is yet to come. You are not past your prime, nor doomed to spend life looking backwards and mired in regret. Jesus is coming back and He will make all things new: you won’t recognise yourself in the new creation and you’ll know joy you have never even dreamed of.
3. Whatever is going on in your life, you have an eternal comforter and friend. He who dwells within you is stronger than any force: your horrible boss, your abusive family, your loneliness, your fear, your sickness. He may not lift you out of these situations, but He sees your pain and He promises to give you grace to stand.
4. Whatever we are going through, Jesus has been there first. He gets it. He gets you. When no-one else understands, He does. Perfectly.
5. Suffering is part of the Christian life. It’s not evidence you’re getting it wrong: it’s often evidence you’re getting it right – following in the footsteps of a crucified Lord. Nor is it pointless: it is achieving for us an eternal inheritance, it’s making us more like Him and in it we can know His comfort and share that comfort with others. In His hands nothing is lost.
6. Nothing can separate you from the love of Jesus. Nothing can snatch you from His arms. He loves you and He is for you.
7. In Him you are precious, righteous and perfect. There’s nothing you need to do. There’s nowhere you need to be. You don’t need to wear a mask and you don’t need to perform. He has done it all. So you can rest.
Wait on the Lord. Be of good courage and he will strengthen your heart. (Psalm 27:14)