2. stop and breathe
3. read the Bible or listen to it read to you
4. scribble on sheets of paper.
5. pray for someone else
6. write a list of things that worry you. Pray them through, then bin them
7. be with other people.
8. watch your favourite TV show.
9. post on web boards or try answering other people’s posts.
10. phone a friend
11. paint your nails
12. go out to see a film.
13. organise bills, receipts, your drawers etc
14. throw socks against the wall
15. take up a new hobby
16. google something fun
17. Call a friend and ask them to come hang out.
18. listen to music or sing
19. send someone a postcard
20. have a bath
21. clean or polish
22. learn how to do something on YouTube
23. water the plants or do some weeding
24. if you’re tempted to self-harm, put plasters where you would normally cut
25. if you want to cut, draw on yourself with washable red marker-then take a shower and wash it away.
26. allow yourself to cry, even if it is hard.
27. sleep, but only if you are tired.
28. do the exact opposite of what you really want to do.
29. stroke a cat. or dog. or furry cushion.
30. take something apart: a tape, a jumper, a car
31. re-organize your clothes
32. do a jigsaw or a crossword or a sudoku
33. Pick up an instrument, make some music
34. make a list of your favourite films and defend them
35. re-read your favourite book
36. get a free makeover from Boots
37. dye your hair
38. volunteer at church or in a charity shop or animal shelter
39. watch a candle burn,then blow it out.
40. take yourself out for a coffee or herbal tea.
41. track your breathing.
42. call or text an old friend.
43. start a blog
44. donate old clothes to charity
45. go somewhere very public and people-watch
46. bake a cake or make some play-dough.
47. alphabetize your CD’s.
48. chew gum.
49. go for a walk
50. pop bubble-wrap
51. rip paper into really small pieces.
52. give someone a hug.
53. scream as loud as you want
54. talk to yourself, and record it.
55. write your life story
56. count to 100
57. play an alphabet game in your head.
58. go to the library and research your family tree
59. finish something you’ve been putting off
60. write a list of things you’re thankful for
You don’t need to harm yourself. You really don’t.